Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Shopping

I'm about half done with my shopping and have some thoughts to put out there.

I may be delusional because I only have one child, but I don't see the need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on one kid. I have a friend at work that spends $200-$300 per kid! WTF! My son is 3 1/2 and it is true that he doesn't want or need a XBox or Guitar Hero right now, but still people. Isn't that a little excessive?
We got Peyton these things and I think its enough, however I've had people ask me why I got him so little.

Spiderman Scooter
DVD's
pajamas
Color Wonder paper and markers
Candyland game
Hi Ho Cherry-o game
small tv for his playroom

We only spent $120 bucks on him and I think its enough. My sister has two kids, both she and her husband work, but sometimes they struggle with money, especially in the winter when he is laid off(brick layer). Yet every Christmas she spends money like its going out of style because they "deserve" a good christmas since they struggled all year. Hmmmmmmm. I can totally see how the meaning of Christmas is completely gone in this scenerio, and while I'm not dogging my sister, I think that extra money she is spending so frivolously should be put away for those rainy weeks when he gets no paycheck. But then again, that's me.

When I was a kid, my parents would go broke filling the living room so full of gifts, we couldnt walk in the room at all. Now don't get me wrong, I loved that as a kid. But as I've gotten older I guess to me it's more important to get the "perfect" present and have fewer, than to just buy to excess to fill a room.

We are doing christmas this year for 21 people for about $550 total! I'm a thrifty shopper, using ebay and craigslist to find things brand new for way cheaper than a store. Also I got up on Black Friday because to me, the 50% savings on almost everything I got, was way worth the loss of sleep.

I guess this post was a vent, as well as me just getting my thoughts out as I finish making my list of last minute things to get. I'm a christian and believe that Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Christ, and that presents and the tree are just tradition, so it can be hard for me sometimes to see people acting as though the presents are the whole reason for the season.

Love ya's

5 comments:

Mary said...

I totally Understand! I only have 1 child to and I know that I will only be spending about 150 at most VERY MOST on her gift this year! shes only 4 and wants barbies, and a barbie doll house and thats all she asked for! I dont see the need either to go broke on christmas so your kids are spoild and expect more when they are older.

Debi said...

I totally agree with you! Your young son won't know the difference at this age anyway! He will just be thrilled to open them! Later on when he starts wanting the more expensive items is when you will run into more money. But for now anyway, you are doing it right!

Happy Holiday's :)

Anonymous said...

I have no children and still manage to get caught up in the "I'll just get them (my family and friends) one more thing mentality. I spent $500 on my boyfriend this year!! I am trying to cut back on buying for friends and things but it always seems to get away from me. I really wish I could cut it out!!

Nikki said...

I agree as well! My little one got some stuff last year, like a doll house and a HUGE amount of play-doh...and this year, she asked for smart stuff...furniture for the doll house and play-doh tools, to add on to what she got last year. I find it insane when people spend like 300+ on a kid...make your kids appreciate stuff, and you will be better off in the long run! :)

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I agree. Almost everyone in my family except myself and my brother go crazy w/ christmas. My parents and my aunt & uncle do it b/c they were raised poor, so now that they can shower their kids and grandkids w/ gifts, they feel they should. I always got a lot for xmas from the time I was a teen until I had my own kids. haha! Last christmas w/ my moms help and negative influence, I spent about $200 per kid b/c I got them the fourwheeler things.

This year I've spent about $150 on them each and I'm done. Nothing big this year b/c they already have too much! I think Christmas is a great opportunity to give away toys to bring in the new ones and I teach my kids we're donating their old toys to children who can't afford toys at all. They love giving, I'm glad that's one thing I've successfully taught them.

This year a got a few "big" things and mostly small things. They both wanted their first barbie doll and baby doll (they're boys) so I got it for them. A bunch of cars junk and I got Riley his first real student acoustic guitar and konnor a play one so he hopefully won't mess w/ Rileys. That is the present I'm most excited about!!!